Personal Launch Monitors in Golf
Golfers of all skill levels are constantly looking for ways to improve their game, and one tool that has become increasingly popular in recent years is the launch monitor. But what exactly is a launch monitor, and how can it help you improve your golf swing? In this post, we'll take a look at the problems that launch monitors can help solve, as well as the measurements that they track, the types of launch monitors available, the cost and how you can use them to improve your game.
What is a launch monitor?
A launch monitor is a device that uses high-speed cameras and sensors to measure various aspects of your golf swing and the resulting flight of the ball. Some of the parameters that can be measured include:
- Ball speed: This is the speed at which the ball is traveling immediately after it leaves the clubface.
- Spin rate: This is the amount of spin the ball has on it, which can affect things like lift and direction.
- Launch angle: This is the angle at which the ball leaves the clubface.
- Trajectory: This is the path that the ball takes through the air.
- Smash factor: This is the ratio of ball speed to clubhead speed, and it can give an indication of how efficiently energy is transferred from the club to the ball.
- Angle-of-attack: This is the angle at which the clubhead strikes the ball, and it can affect things like ball speed and spin rate.
Types of launch monitors
There are two main types of launch monitors available on the market: radar-based and camera-based.
- Radar-based launch monitors: These monitors use radar technology to measure the ball’s speed, spin, launch angle, and trajectory. They are generally considered to be more accurate than camera-based monitors, but they can be more expensive.
- Camera-based launch monitors: These monitors use high-speed cameras to measure the ball’s speed, spin, launch angle, and trajectory. They are generally less expensive than radar-based monitors, but they may not be as accurate.
The cost of launch monitors can vary widely depending on the type and features of the device. A basic camera-based launch monitor can cost around $200 to $500, while a high-end radar-based launch monitor can cost $5,000 or more.
Problems that launch monitors can help solve
One of the main problems that golfers face is that it can be difficult to accurately assess their swing and identify areas for improvement. Launch monitors can help solve this problem by providing accurate and detailed measurements of various aspects of the swing and ball flight.
Another problem that golfers face is that they may not be using the right equipment for their swing. For example, a golfer with a high ball speed may benefit from using a driver with a lower loft, while a golfer with a lower ball speed may benefit from using a driver with a higher loft. Launch monitors can help golfers find the right equipment for their swing by providing detailed measurements of things like ball speed and spin rate.
In conclusion, launch monitors are a valuable tool for golfers of all skill levels. They can help solve problems like lack of insight on your swing and ball flight, and not finding the right equipment for your swing. The measurements that launch monitors track, such as ball speed, spin rate, launch angle, and trajectory, can help golfers identify areas of their swing that need improvement and find the right equipment for their swing.
Launch Monitors You Should Try
- Bushnell Launch Pro: https://www.bushnellgolf.com/products/launch-monitors/launch-pro/
- Rapsodo: https://rapsodo.com/products/mobile-launch-monitor?variant=bundle
- Garmin R10: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/695391
- Foresight GC3: https://www.foresightsports.com/gc3
- Flightscope Mevo Plus: https://flightscopemevo.com/products/flightscope-mevo-plus
- PRGR:https: //www.prgrlaunchmonitors.com/